Scott Sigler is a writer. He scored a 4 book deal with crown publishing. What makes Scott worthy of mention is that he created his own audience after being rejected by so called big publishing for about 15 years.
Scott’s Novel “Infected” will release 1 Apr 2008.
How did he do that? He will tell you the story (check out this you tube link). And I will try to sum it up:
1) He took action. He wrote many books (I’m not sure how many, but a lot). None sold.
2) He discovered “podcasting” in 2005. He used podcasting to give away audio versions of his books on the internet.
3) He built up an audience of about 30,000 dedicated fans.
4) He did a small print version of one of his books (“Ancestor”) and this book broke all kinds of records on Amazon and would have been #1 on Amazon if it had not been for a little book you might have heard of called “Harry Potter”.
5) Big publishing took notice and Scott now gets paid to take over the world. (inside joke…yes I am a junkie.)
6) Oh, by the way, he continued to have a life and work his day job to pay his bills while doing all of the above.
I will add that Scott used the the “Law of Attraction”. We all use the Law of Attraction, however Scott used it in a way that helped him get what he wants.
I think many people watch movies like “The Secret” and then go and sit crossed-legged in their bedroom and think about all the things they want, which is great! Then they turn on the TV and wait for things to show up, which won’t work. This would work, but you actually have to take action to receive all the things that you think about, and watching TV doesn’t really count for action. What Scott did, is what works.
I have never met Scott personally, but everyone I know that has met him, always uses the same word to describe Scott: “intense”. Scott is an intense individual. Since I have never met Scott, I will believe, for now, that Scott is an “intense” person. However, I am not exactly sure what that means. I bet when I do meet Scott, I will find him to be a person that has figured out what he wants and is focusing his energy on getting it. This would create the outward appearance of “intensity” because I believe that most people are walking around the world not knowing what they want, and therefore lack focused internal drive.
Knowing what you want is hugely important from my point of view. Others call this “goal setting” which is fine, but I prefer to call it getting what I want. People want to put dates on goals, which is necessary in the world of business, but is not the same as “knowing” what you want. I would rather get an idea of what I want and then work towards getting it, but at the same time not really care about the outcome.
Does that sound crazy? I think it might. Allow me to try to explain. Wait, no time to Xplain…lemme sum up! 🙂
The Law of Attraction for me works like this:
1) Ask: Think about what you want. Imagine it, think about how cool it will be. Make it seem as though you already have it and you feel great.
2) Give: Universe does this. Your role in this is step one.
3) Receive:?? Watch for signs, opportunities, ideas, dreams, inspiration, little coincidences.
4) Act: Do something positive toward moving your life toward one of those opportunities. Write a blog post, take a college class, work on a chapter of your book, promote your online business—DO SOMETHING. If you can’t think of anything to do…then go for a walk. MOVE your body.
5) Let go: Accept outcomes without judgment. Don’t get upset if things are not the way you want them to be. Recenter yourself, get happy, and start back at step 1.
If you are a fan of the horror genre, you may want check out Scott’s web page and his blog posts (he is VERY FUNNY!)
“We can revise the past. We can create the future. We must accept NOW as is.”
— Deepak Chopra